Gibraltar 2022: A walk around The Rock

Gibraltar

Well into 2022, we missed leaving Spain, since we hadn’t done so since the summer of 2020. For those of us who live in the south of Spain, the easiest thing is to move to Gibraltar, which, although many don’t like it, belongs to to the UK.

Gibraltar is a British Overseas Territory located in the extreme south of the Iberian Peninsula, bordering Spain with La Línea de la Concepción, Province of Cádiz. It has an area of only 6.7 km². Its landscape stands out for the Rock. It is a rocky massif at whose feet is the urban area, with about 32,000 inhabitants.

Gibraltar

In 1704, Anglo-Dutch forces captured Gibraltar from Spain during the War of the Spanish Succession. The territory was ceded to Great Britain in perpetuity under the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713 which became an important base for the Royal Navy, particularly during the Napoleonic Wars and World War II as it controlled the narrow entrance and exit to the Mediterranean Sea.

The Strait of Gibraltar, just 14.3 km wide, separates Europe from Africa. This bottleneck remains strategically important, as half of the world’s seaborne trade passes through it. Gibraltar’s economy is largely based on tourism, online gambling, financial services and fuel supply.

Gibraltar’s sovereignty is a point of contention in Anglo-Spanish relations, as Spain claims the territory. Gibraltarians overwhelmingly rejected proposals for Spanish sovereignty in a 1967 referendum and shared sovereignty in a 2002 referendum. However, Gibraltar maintains close economic and cultural links with Spain, with many Gibraltarians speaking Spanish, as well as a local dialect known as Llanito.

On January 31, 2020, the United Kingdom and Gibraltar left the European Union. In December 2020, the UK and Spain agreed in principle on a basis on which the UK and the EU could negotiate terms for Gibraltar to participate in aspects of the Schengen Agreement.

Remember to always travel with travel insurance. With IATI, specialists in travel insurance, you have a 5% discount for being our reader.

Gibraltar Travel diary.

It is not the first time that we have visited Gibraltar but, this time, we were going to visit it in depth, with more time and a well-prepared trip.

February 25.

We leave Granada in our private vehicle after lunch. From our destination, La Línea de la Concepción, we are separated by 287 km.

We went straight to the hotel. We chose the Ohtels Campo de Gibraltar, a 4-star hotel that cost us €59 ($64) per night.

Find your ideal hotel in Gibraltar (or vicinity) at the best price with Agoda:

Gibraltar

We left our things at the hotel and headed to Gibraltar for some dinner.

At that time, the border posts were almost closed. To enter we only showed our DNI to a Spanish policeman who was at the vehicle barrier. In the British area the same but inside the building.

We dined at a place in Casemates Square called Roy’s Fish & Chips where we ate… yes, fish & chips. It was pretty good considering it’s fried food and it wasn’t too expensive, £21.70 (€27.13 – $29.33).

After dinner we took a short walk down Main Street but since the area was half dead, we went back to the hotel to rest.

We got up early to make the most of the day and we found ourselves in “Levante weather”, that is: rain and infernal wind… shitty weather. Even so, we did not lose heart and went to the border after breakfast in a cafeteria.

But first, as the weather was so bad, we decided not to climb to the top of the rock today, so we took a short detour visiting some of the bunkers in La Línea de la Concepción.

These bunkers were built at the beginning of World War II to fortify the surroundings of the Strait of Gibraltar, considering that Gibraltar would be the main objective of Germany to gain control of the entrance to the Mediterranean Sea.

From here we went for a walk to the nearby ruins of Fort Santa Bárbara.

In 1730, the engineer Jorge Próspero de Verboom was commissioned by King Felipe V to design and build a military defensive fortification line around the English enclave of Gibraltar, in anticipation of future attacks from the rock. These fortifications are known as the Contravalación Line or Line of Gibraltar.

The Fort of Santa Bárbara had capacity for 24 pieces of artillery and a very high number of men, Grenadier Corps, Cavalry Corps with up to 40 men and Artillery Corps in addition to a group of men with the function of cleaning the earthen ditches . It also had 4 barracks for the troops.

The Contravalación Line was destroyed in 1810 by the British Corps of Sappers under the pretext of preventing it from falling into the hands of Napoleonic troops and with the authorization of the Spanish government, a circumstantial ally of the United Kingdom.

On the other side of the fort is a walkway-like wooden walkway for strolling along the shoreline. Too bad about the shitty weather.

Now yes, from here we took a windy ride to the border. Crossing it was something more serious than at night. In the Spanish part we had to go through some turnstiles that automatically checked your DNI or passport, although in the British part, the same checkpoint as the night before with a policeman basically greeting you.

One of the curiosities of Gibraltar is that, shortly after crossing the border, you will find the runway of the Gibraltarian airport, which you must cross. If a plane is expected to land or take off, the accesses are closed and traffic is stopped.

From the track we have a good view of the rock and the Moorish Castle, which we will talk about later.

From the border, you can make the journey to the center by bus. The price is £1.60 or €2.40 and the money must be exact, the driver does not give change.

If you want to walk it is approximately 20 minutes to Grand Casemates Square.

We entered Casemates Square through the Grand Casemates Gates.

Grand Casemates Square is the largest main square in all of Gibraltar and takes its name from the great Casemates built by the British, a casemate and bomb-proof barracks at the north end of the square which was completed in 1817. By the way, A casemate is a very resistant construction to install artillery pieces…

Until a few decades ago it was a car park but today it is a lively place where you can find numerous bars and restaurants where you can have a good time.

From here we go to Irish Town Street, a pedestrian street parallel to Main Street that runs from Cooperage Lane in the north to John Mackintosh Square in the south.

In its beginnings it was called Calle de Santa Ana in honor of a hermitage that bore this name on the corner of Market Lane. In 1581 the Mercedarian Fathers settled in Gibraltar and built their monastery around the small chapel, although the street kept its name.

In 1720 Lord Portmore handed it over to the Royal Navy who converted it into the Naval Warehouse with apartments for victualling clerks. The original building was destroyed during the Great Siege of Gibraltar (1779-1783).

Irish Town’s name dates back to the early 19th century, when Gibraltar was divided into different wards, although 95% of the ward’s population was Welsh.

But…, it’s a very normal street with nothing remarkable. Judge for yourself.

Almost at the end of Irish Town we found a building that caught our attention, the Old Police Station, the former central police station now converted into offices. It is a Victorian building built in 1864 by order of the then Governor of Gibraltar, General Sir William John Codrington K.C.B.

Old Police Station.

A little further on we come to John Mackintosh Square, the second largest main square in Gibraltar and the center of city life since the 14th century. In her they are the building of the city council and the parliament (and the office of tourism).

The square was originally the Plaza Mayor, when Gibraltar was under Spanish rule. Later it was called Gran Plaza and then Alameda. In the square were the hospital and chapel of La Santa Misericordia. In 1704, after the city was captured by an Anglo-Dutch fleet, the Holy Mercy hospital and chapel were converted by the British into a prison.

After the Great Siege (1779–1783), a colonnaded Georgian guardhouse was built on the south side of the square, the High Guard. After the brigade’s move to the new fire station at Victoria Battery in 1938, it became the Rates Office. Today the guardhouse houses the Gibraltar Heritage Trust.

In 1817, local merchants raised money to build a building to house the Library and an auction room, becoming the gathering place for merchants. In 1951, the building was remodeled to house the Legislative Council, which in 1969 became the House of Assembly. Since 2006, the building has housed the Parliament of Gibraltar.

Gibraltar Parliament.

The town hall building was built by Aaron Cardozo in 1815 as a family residence. Between 1833 and 1839 it was leased to the Gibraltar Garrison Club, where they set up their headquarters. In 1839 it became the House Club Hotel until 1875, when Cardozo’s nephew sold the building to the Spanish businessman Pablo Larios (yes, from the Geneva family), who spent long periods in Gibraltar.

In 1920 the Gibraltar government bought it and handed it over to the newly constituted city council, making it the seat of the city council. Council meetings were held here until 1969, when it was merged with the Government.

Gibraltar Town Hall.

Behind the town hall is the British War Memorial, the monument to the British soldiers who fell in the First World War, sculpted by José Piquet Catoli and inaugurated in 1923.

It is located next to the King’s Bastion built in 1773 on the site of an Arab gate and the Platform of San Lorenzo, built in 1575. At the end of the 19th century it ceased to function as a defensive building and was converted into Gibraltar’s first power station in 1896.

In 2005 the power plant and all the additions were demolished, leaving the original building visible. Since 2008 it has been a leisure center where there is basically a huge bowling alley and little else.

King’s Bastion.
King’s Bastion.

We returned to Main Street, the main street of Gibraltar. It was established in the 14th century and confirmed with the construction of the African Gate (now called Southport Gates) in 1575, during the Spanish period.

Almost every building on Main Street was damaged during the Great Siege which, due to its proximity to the harbor, was easy to bomb.

Main Street is the city’s main business district. It runs north-south through the old town, which is pedestrianized and lined with buildings displaying a mix of Genoese, Portuguese, Andalusian, Moorish and British Regency styles.

Main Street.

After Grand Casemates Square we find the Landport Gate, the first access gate to the walled city.

We returned to Main Street to visit the most notable buildings, starting with the Cathedral of Saint Mary the Crowned. During the Muslim occupation a mosque was located in this place. After its expulsion by the Christians from Gibraltar in 1462 it was converted into a Catholic church.

Under the reign of the Spanish Catholic Monarchs, the building was demolished and a Gothic-style temple was built in its place. This was the only church that was not looted during the capture of the city by Anglo-Dutch troops in 1704, but it did suffer severe damage during the Great Siege (1779-1783).

Reconstruction was carried out in 1810 and the opportunity was also taken to widen Main Street. The clock tower was added in 1820 and in 1931 the restoration of the cathedral was carried out and the current west façade was erected to replace the poorer one built in 1810.

Cathedral of Saint Mary the Crowned.

A little further on we find two noteworthy buildings, one opposite the other. The first is the Gibraltar Government building and offices of the Prime Minister.

The second is called The Convent. Its name comes from a Franciscan convent built in 1531 during the reign of Carlos I of Spain. After the capture of Gibraltar by the British, the Franciscans decided to stay, although for a short time.

In 1728 it became the official residence of the governor to this day. The present building is a reconstruction of the 18th and 19th centuries in the Georgian style with Victorian elements.

Here we turned around and went in search of somewhere to eat. I vaguely remembered a pretty seedy Indian food place I visited in 2009. We found it, it’s called Kanh’s and it’s great and cheap.

(Grandma’s crockery is the best).

With renewed energy we went for a walk towards the Pillars of Hercules. We had to take the bus because you don’t see everything you have to walk, 4 km practically uphill.

Anyway, we pass through some notable points, such as St Andrew’s Church or Church of Scotland, inaugurated in 1854. Although originally built to serve as a church for the garrison of Scottish soldiers based in Gibraltar, today it serves a larger Christian Reformed and Presbyterian community of all nationalities.

St Andrew’s Church.

We return to Main Street and head south. At the end of the street we come across the Southport Gates, one of the gates or, rather, three of the gates of the city. They are located in the Muralla de Charles V, one of Gibraltar’s 16th century fortifications. The first and second Southport Gates were built on present-day Trafalgar Road in 1552 and 1883, respectively. The third gate, Referendum Gate, is the widest of the three and was built in 1967 on Main Street, immediately west of the first two gates.

Southport Gate was originally known as the Gate of Africa and was built by the Italian engineer Giovanni Battista Calvi in 1552, under the reign of Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor.

Southport Gates.

Across Southport Gates is Trafalgar Cemetery which was used for burials between 1798 and 1814, and subsequently fell into disuse. Its former name was Southport Ditch Cemetery and although its name commemorates the Battle of Trafalgar, only two of those buried there died of injuries sustained during the battle. The rest of the bodies were thrown into the sea.

From here we begin to climb… to climb a lot along Europa Road passing through some points with beautiful views of the city and the Bay of Gibraltar.

After a long climb, we finally reached the entrance to the Peñón Nature Reserve. Next to it we can visit the Jew’s Gate Cemetery, the oldest Jewish cemetery in Gibraltar, which was in use between 1746 and 1848.

On the other side we find a viewpoint with magnificent views of Punta Europa, the southern tip of Gibraltar. And we also found the monument (cheap plastic) Pillars of Hercules.

According to the legend of mythological origin, the Pillars of Hercules referred in ancient times to the promontories that flank the Strait of Gibraltar, being the limit of the world known by the Greeks until, according to the Greek historian Herodotus, Coleus of Samos crossed it in around the seventh century before Christ.

The Pillars of Hercules were indeed a boundary between the exterior and interior of the Mediterranean basin and, until 1492, the existence of a continent further west of this sea was unknown, which is why the Columns have been related to the phrase Latin Non terrae plus ultra (“There is no land beyond”) and with Plus ultra (“Beyond”) in the 16th century, referring to Hispanic domains beyond this point.

Their oldest name that surely alludes to them comes from the Greeks, who called them Στῆλαι Ἡρακλήϊαι or Ἡρακλέων στηλέων “Stelae of Heracles” and that the Romans later called Columnas Herculis (Columns of Hercules).

It is said that the Rock of Gibraltar was the northern column and the southern column is in dispute between Mount Hacho in Ceuta (Spain) and Mount Musa in Morocco, both on continental Africa.

Here we rest for a while admiring the beautiful views before starting the descent. Sorry about the bad weather.

Since we are very stupid, we started walking. Once down in the city, we made a brief stop in Irish Town called The Clipper to have an English beer and we went straight to the hotel to rest.

That night, for dinner, we decided to look for a nearby place in La Línea de la Concepción. We did it in a very hipster place called El Barbas, which was really good. So good that we repeated the next night.

The next day due to the bad weather forecast, we decided to take a leap to visit the city of Cádiz, but we will leave that for another post.

February 28th.

Last day of the trip and we got up with good weather so we decided to climb to the top of the Rock. For this we went for a walk to the Cablecar to climb to the top. It cost us £28 (€33.80 – $36.57) and included the one way trip and entrance to the Nature Reserve.

As a note, I must say that a species of macaque endemic only from here lives in the Rock, of which it is not very clear how they arrived. Well, just after leaving the cabin of the Cablecar, one of them jumped on a guy to rob him. Since he didn’t get anything, he decided to jump on me to gain momentum and pounce on my partner trying to open the zippers of the backpack looking for food… thief macaque. He kept trying until an employee ran out with a stick scaring him.

From the station the views are already beginning to be spectacular. You can see the entire Bay of Gibraltar, La Línea, Gibraltar… all surrounded by thieving macaques.

From a distance he had an angry face.

We took a walk around the area around the Cablecar station and headed towards the Gibraltar Skywalk.

But just before it is the Barbary macaque feeding station, where they feed the robber macaques, where we can see beautiful views.

A little further on is the Skywalk, a glass-bottomed observation deck opened in 2018 by Luke Skywalker from Starwars. The bad thing is that that day it was closed for maintenance and we couldn’t access it.

Skywalk.

From here we continue to the southern end of the Rock in search of O’Hara’s Battery. To get there you have to climb a piece of hill that leaves you breathless…

But it’s worth it. On clear days you can see the mountains of Morocco perfectly. It stands on the highest peak of the rock, at 421 meters and is named after the Governor of Gibraltar between 1795 and 1802, General Charles O’Hara.

After taking in the wonderful views, we begin our descent into Saint Michael’s Cave, a network of limestone caves. The cave has functioned as a theater since the 1960s thanks to its spectacular acoustics.

During the visit the lights vary, which does not allow you to enjoy the forms of the grotto in conditions and, in the theater they put on a light show called «The Awakening». Of course, it is very comfortable resting on the chairs.

After the caves, we continue down, leaving Windsor Suspension Bridge aside, a suspension bridge that I didn’t think to cross (or see closely) due to vertigo. And a little further down, Apes Den (Monkey Den), where a bunch more robber macaques live.

We continue down (a lot) until we reach Princess Caroline’s Battery, at the northern end of the Rock, where the Military Heritage Center is located. It is an artillery battery built in 1732 and is named after the third daughter of King George II. From here we can see beautiful views facing north of Gibraltar.

A little further up a steep hill is The Great Siege Tunnels. It is a series of tunnels within the northern end of the Rock of Gibraltar. They were carved out of the solid limestone by the British during the Great Siege of Gibraltar in the late 18th century.

We retrace our steps and continue down, passing in front of the Lime Kiln, one of the two remaining lime kilns on the Rock, dating from the early 20th century and recently restored.

Next to it we find City Under Siege, an exhibition of life during the years around the Great Siege.

A little further down we find the World War II Tunnels, built in case Spain, although officially neutral, sympathized with the German National Socialist and Italian Fascist regime, decided to give way to the German troops towards Gibraltar for total control of the Mediterranean Sea (and be able to claim the territory for Spain).

It is an immense network of tunnels that housed what was equivalent to an underground city in which they could be self-sufficient for 16 months, sheltering a garrison of 16,000 soldiers.

Near the exit is the Moorish Castle. It was built at the beginning of the 12th century after the Muslim invasion of the Iberian Peninsula. After the conquest of the territory by the Spanish between 1309 and 1333. After the recovery of Gibraltar by the Arabs in 1333, Abu’l Hassan had the keep rebuilt.

Here, a Spanish governor resisted for five months the Duke of Medina Sidonia, who seized Gibraltar from his own sovereign, Queen Elizabeth of Spain. The lower castle originally extended to Casemates Square, the Grand Battery area, and the Old Mole. The courtyard of the Castillo de los Moros served as a prison until 2010.

Here we end the tourist visit. We went down to the city and, since it was very late, we decided to eat at the pub where we had had our beer the day before, The Clipper, which did not close the kitchen. We ate really well and relatively cheap: £2‎4.70 (€29.50).

Yes now. We went to the hotel to pick up our things and to the house to rest.
Once again, it was worth visiting Gibraltar. It is a place that I love and that I will surely visit again.

Here you can see a map with the sites visited on the trip:

Encuentra las mejores actividades y tours en Gibraltar con Civitatis.

Find out more in our travel diaries.

Gibraltar: Un paseo por el peñón

Gibraltar

Ya entrados en el 2022, echábamos de menos salir de España, ya que no lo hacíamos desde verano de 2020. Para los que vivimos en el sur de España, lo más fácil es trasladarse hasta Gibraltar que, aunque a muchos no le guste, pertenece al Reino Unido.

Gibraltar es un Territorio Británico de Ultramar ubicado en el extremo sur de la Península Ibérica. Hace frontera con España con La Línea de la Concepción, Provincia de Cádiz.

Tiene una superficie de tan sólo 6,7 km². Su paisaje destaca por el peñón (Rock of Gibraltar en inglés). Es un macizo rocoso a cuyos pies se encuentra el área urbana, con unos 32.000 habitantes.

Un poco de historia de Gibraltar

En 1704, las fuerzas anglo-holandesas capturaron Gibraltar de España durante la Guerra de Sucesión española. El territorio fue cedido a Gran Bretaña a perpetuidad bajo el Tratado de Utrecht en 1713. Entonces se convirtió en una base importante para la Royal Navy. Particularmente durante las Guerras Napoleónicas y la Segunda Guerra Mundial. Ya que controlaba la entrada y salida estrechas al mar Mediterráneo.

El Estrecho de Gibraltar, de solo 14,3 km de ancho, separa Europa de África. Este cuello de botella sigue siendo estratégicamente importante, ya que la mitad del comercio marítimo mundial pasa por él.

La economía de Gibraltar se basa en gran medida en el turismo, los juegos de azar en línea, los servicios financieros y el abastecimiento de combustible. Básicamente es un paraíso fiscal.

La soberanía de Gibraltar es un punto de discordia en las relaciones anglo-españolas, ya que España reclama el territorio. Los gibraltareños rechazaron abrumadoramente las propuestas de soberanía española en un referéndum de 1967. También la soberanía compartida en un referéndum de 2002. Sin embargo, Gibraltar mantiene estrechos vínculos económicos y culturales con España. Con muchos gibraltareños que hablan español, así como un dialecto local conocido como llanito.

Haciendo un apunte sobre el llanito… me parece harto gracioso. La manera que tienen de intercalar el inglés y el gaditano cerrado. Me encanta.

Recuerda viajar siempre con seguro de viaje. Con IATI, especialistas en seguros de viajes, tienes un 5% de descuento por ser nuestro lector.

Iati seguros

El 31 de enero de 2020, el Reino Unido y Gibraltar abandonaron la Unión Europea. En diciembre de 2020, el Reino Unido y España acordaron en principio una base sobre la cual el Reino Unido y la UE podrían negociar los términos para que Gibraltar participe en aspectos del Acuerdo de Schengen.

Al final de la entrada pondremos datos importantes e información general.

Diario del viaje a Gibraltar

No es la primera vez que visitamos Gibraltar pero, esta vez, lo íbamos a visitar en profundidad, con más tiempo y un viaje bien preparado.

25 de febrero

Partimos de Granada en nuestro vehículo particular despues de comer. De nuestro destino, La Línea de la Concepción, nos separan 287 km.

Fuimos directamente al hotel. Elegimos el Ohtels Campo de Gibraltar un hotel de 4 estrellas que nos costó 59€ la noche.

Encuentra tu hotel ideal en Gibraltar (o alrededores) al mejor precio con Agoda:

The Rock
Gibraltar

Dejamos las cosas en el hotel y nos fuimos a Gibraltar para cenar algo.

Roy's Fish & Chips
Gibraltar

A esa hora, los puestos fronterizos estaban casi cerrados. Para entrar solamente enseñamos el DNI a un policía español que se encontraba en la barrera del paso de vehículos. En la zona británica lo mismo pero dentro del edificio.

Cenamos en un sitio en Casemates Square llamado Roy’s Fish & Chips en el que cenamos…. si, fish & chips. Estaba bastante bueno teniendo en cuenta que es fritanga y no fue demasiado caro, £21.70 (27.13€).

Tras la cena dimos un pequeño paseo por Main Street. Pero como la zona estaba medio muerta, nos volvimos a descansar el hotel.

Gibraltar Main Street

26 de febrero

Nos levantamos tempranito para aprovechar el día y nos encontramos con “tiempo de levante”. Esto es: lluvia y viento infernal… un tiempo de mierda vaya. Aún así no nos achantamos y nos fuimos a la frontera. Previo desayuno en una cafetería.

Pero antes, como hacía un tiempo tan malo, decidimos no subir a lo alto del peñón hoy. Así que dimos un pequeño rodeo visitando algunos de los búnkeres de La Línea de la Concepción.

Estos búnkeres fueron construidos a principios de la II Guerra Mundial para fortificar los alrededores del Estrecho de Gibraltar. Considerando que Gibraltar sería objetivo principal de Alemania para hacerse con el control de la entrada del Mar Mediterráneo.

Bunker La Línea de la Concepción
Bunker La Línea de la Concepción

Desde aquí nos fuimos dando un paseo a las cercanas ruinas del Fuerte de Santa Bárbara.

En 1730, el ingeniero Jorge Próspero de Verboom recibió el encargo del Rey Felipe V de diseñar y levantar una línea militar de fortificación defensiva en el entorno del enclave inglés de Gibraltar. En previsión de futuros ataques desde la roca.

Estas fortificaciones son conocidas como Línea de Contravalación o Línea de Gibraltar.

El Fuerte de Santa Bárbara tenía capacidad para 24 piezas de artillería y una dotación de hombres muy elevada. Cuerpo de Granaderos, Cuerpo de Caballería con hasta 40 hombres y Cuerpo de Artillería. Además de un grupo de hombres con la función de limpiar los fosos de tierra. Poseía, además, 4 cuarteles para la tropa.

La Línea de Contravalación fue destruida en 1810 por el cuerpo de zapadores británico. Fue con el pretexto de impedir que cayera en manos de las tropas napoleónicas. Contó con la autorización del gobierno español, circunstancial aliado del Reino Unido.

Fuerte de Santa Barbara de La Línea de la Concepción

Al otro lado del fuerte se encuentra una pasarela de madera en forma de pasarela para pasear por la línea de la costa. Lástima el tiempo de mierda que hacía.

Ahora si, desde aquí fuimos dando un ventoso paseo hasta la frontera. Cruzarla fue algo más serio que a la noche. En la parte española tuvimos que pasr unos tornos que te revisaba automáticamente el DNI o el pasaporte. En la parte británica, la misma garita que la noche anterior con un policia basicamente saludándote.

Una de las curiosidades de Gibraltar es que, al poco de pasar la frontera, se encuentra la pista de aterrizaje del aeropuerto gibraltareño. Pista que debes cruzar. Si se espera el aterrizaje o el despegue de algún avión, los accesos se cierran y se para el tráfico.

Desde la pista tenemos una buena vista del peñón y de la Moorish Castle, de la que ya hablaremos después.

Moorish Castle
Gibraltar

Desde la frontera, puedes hacer el trayecto hasta el centro en bus. El precio es de £1.60 o 2.40€ y el dinero debe ser exacto, el conductor no da cambio.

Si deseas hacerlo andando son aproximadamente 20 minutos hasta Casemates Square.

Entramos a Casemates Square por la puerta Grand Casemates Gates.

Grand Casemates Gates
Gibraltar

Grand Casemates Square es la plaza principal más grande de todo Gibraltar y toma su nombre de las grandes Casamatas construidas por los británicos. Una casamata y un cuartel a prueba de bombas en el extremo norte de la plaza que se completó en 1817. Por cierto, una casamata es una construcción muy resistente para instalar piezas de artillería…

Hasta hace unas décadas era un aparcamiento. Hoy en día es una animado lugar donde encontrar numerosos bares y restaurantes en el que echar un buen rato.

Grand Casemates Square.

Desde aquí, pasamos a la calle Irish Town. Es una calle peatonal paralela a Main Street que va desde Cooperage Lane en el norte hasta John Mackintosh Square en el sur.

Irish Town
Gibraltar

En sus inicios se llamaba calle de Santa Ana en honor a una ermita que llevaba este nombre en la esquina con Market Lane. En 1581 los Padres Mercedarios se establecieron en Gibraltar y construyeron su monasterio alrededor de la pequeña capilla. Aunque la calle conservó su nombre.

En 1720, Lord Portmore lo entregó a la Royal Navy que lo convirtió en el almacén naval con apartamentos para los empleados de avituallamiento. El edificio original fue destruido durante el Gran Asedio de Gibraltar (1779-1783).

El nombre de Irish Town se remonta a principios del siglo XIX, cuando Gibraltar se dividió en diferentes barrios. Aunque el 95% de la población del barrio era galesa.

Pero vaya, es una calle muy normalita sin nada reseñable. Juzga tu mismo.

Irish Town.

Casi al final de Irish Town encontramos un edificio que nos llamó la atención. Se trata de la Old Police Station, la antigua comisaría central de policía hoy reconvertida en oficinas. Se trata de un edificio victoriano construido en 1864 por orden del entonces Gobernador de Gibraltar el General Sir William John Codrington K.C.B.

Old Police Station
Gibraltar
Old Police Station.

Un poco más adelante llegamos a la John Mackintosh Square. La segunda plaza principal más grande de Gibraltar y el centro de la vida de la ciudad desde el siglo XIV. En ella se encuentran el edificio del ayuntamiento y el parlamento (y la oficina de turismo).

La plaza era originalmente la Plaza Mayor, cuando Gibraltar era dominio español. Mas tarde se llamó Gran Plaza y luego Alameda. En la plaza se encontraban el hospital y capilla de La Santa Misericordia. En 1704, tras la captura de la ciudad por una flota anglo-holandesa, los británicos convirtieron el hospital y la capilla de La Santa Misericordia en una prisión.

Después del Gran Asedio (1779-1783), se construyó una caseta de vigilancia georgiana con columnas en el lado sur de la plaza, la Guardia Mayor. Después del traslado de la brigada a la nueva estación de bomberos en Victoria Battery en 1938, se convirtió en la Oficina de Tarifas. Hoy en día, la caseta de vigilancia alberga el Gibraltar Heritage Trust.

En 1817, los comerciantes locales recaudaron dinero para construir un edificio para albergar la Biblioteca y una sala de subastas, convirtiéndose en el lugar de reunión de los comerciantes. En 1951, el edificio fue remodelado para albergar el Consejo Legislativo, que en 1969 se convirtió en la Cámara de la Asamblea. Desde 2006, el edificio alberga el Parlamento de Gibraltar.

Parlamento de Gibraltar
Parlamento de Gibraltar.

El edificio del ayuntamiento fue construido Aaron Cardozo en 1815 como residencia familiar. Entre 1833 y 1839 fue arrendado al Gibraltar Garrison Club, en donde éstos montaron su sede. En 1839 se convirtió en el House Club Hotel hasta 1875, en el que el sobrino de Cardozo vendió el edificio al empresario español Pablo Larios (si, de la famila de los de la Ginebra), que pasaba largas temporadas en Gibraltar.

En 1920 lo compra el gobierno de Gibraltar y se lo cede al recién constituido consejo de la ciudad, convirtiéndolo en la sede del ayuntamiento. Aquí se llevaron a cabo las reuniones del consejo hasta 1969, en el que se fusionó con el Gobierno.

Ayuntamiento de Gibraltar
Ayuntamiento de Gibraltar.

Tras el ayuntamiento se encuentra el British War Memorial, el monumento a los soldados británicos caídos en la Primera Guerra Mundial, esculpido por José Piquet Catoli e inaugurado en 1923.

British War Memorial
British War Memorial.

Junto al monumento se encuentra King’s Bastion (Baluarte del Rey). Construido en 1773 sobre el lugar en el que estuvo una puerta árabe y La Plataforma de San Lorenzo, levantada en 1575.

A finales del siglo XIX dejó de funcionar como edificio defensivo y se reconvirtió en la primera central eléctrica de Gibraltar en 1896.

En 2005 se derriba la central eléctrica y todos los añadidos dejando a la vista la edificación original. Desde 2008 es un centro de ocio en el que, básicamente hay una bolera enorme y poco más.

King's Bastion
King’s Bastion.
King's Bastion
King’s Bastion.

Volvimos hacia Main Street, la calle principal de Gibraltar. Se estableció en el siglo XIV y se confirmó con la construcción de la Puerta de África (ahora llamada Southport Gates) en 1575, durante el período español.

Casi todos los edificios de Main Street sufrieron daños durante el Gran Asedio que, debido a su cercanía con el puerto, era fácil de bombardear.

Main Street es el principal distrito comercial de la ciudad. Corre de norte a sur a través del casco antiguo, que es peatonal y está bordeado de edificios que muestran una mezcla de estilos genovés, portugués, andaluz, morisco y de la Regencia británica.

Main Street
Gibraltar

Tras Grand Casemates Square encontramos la Puerta de Landport (o Puerta de España), la primera puerta de acceso a la ciudad amurallada.

Tunel de Landport
Puerta de Landport.

Volvimos a Main Street para visitar los edificios más reseñables, empezando por Cathedral of Saint Mary the Crowned (Catedral de Santa María la Coronada). Durante la ocupación musulmana se encontraba en este lugar una mezquita. Tras su expulsión por los cristianos de Gibraltar en 1462 se reconvirtió en iglesia católica.

Bajo el reinado de los Reyes Católicos, el edificio fue demolido y en su lugar se levantó un templo de estilo gótico. Ésta fue la única iglesia que no fue saqueada durante la toma de la ciudad por las tropas anglo-holandesas de 1704, pero si sufrió severos daños durante el Gran Asedio (1779-1783).

La reconstrucción se llevó a cabo en 1810 y también se aprovechó la oportunidad para ampliar Main Street. La torre del reloj se añadió en 1820 y en 1931 se llevó a cabo la restauración de la catedral y se erigió la actual fachada oeste en sustitución de la más pobre construida en 1810.

Cathedral of Saint Mary the Crowned (Catedral de Santa María la Coronada)

Un poco más adelante nos encontramos con dos edificios reseñables, uno frente al otro. El primero es el edificio del Gobierno de Gibraltar y oficinas del Primer Ministro.

HM Governent of Gibraltar
HM Governent of Gibraltar.

El segundo es el llamado The Convent (el Convento). Su nombre viene de un convento franciscano construido en 1531 durante el reinado de Carlos I de España. Tras la toma de Gibraltar por los británicos, los franciscanos decidieron quedarse aunque por poco tiempo.

En 1728 se convirtió en la residencia oficial del gobernador hasta nuestros días. El edificio actual es una reconstrucción de los siglos XVIII y XIX en estilo georgiano con elementos victorianos.

The Convent (el Convento)
Gibraltar

Aquí nos dimos la vuelta y nos fuimos en busca de algún sitio para comer. Recordaba vagamente un sitio bastante cutre de comida indú que visité en 2009. Lo encontramos, se llama Kanh’s y está buenísimo y barato.

Con energias renovadas nos fuimos dando un paseo hacia las Torres de Hércules. Debimos tomar el bus porque no veas el pateo, 4 km prácticamente cuesta arriba.

Pero bueno, pasamos por algunos puntos reseñables, como St Andrew’s Church o Church of Scotland (iglesia de San Andrés o iglesia de Escocia), inaugurada en 1854. Aunque originalmente construida para servir como iglesia de la guarnición de soldados escoceses con sede en Gibraltar, hoy sirve a una comunidad presbiteriana y reformada cristiana más amplia de todas las nacionalidades.

St Andrew's Church o Church of Scotland
St Andrew’s Church.

Volvemos a Main Street y nos dirigimos hacia el sur. Al final de la calle nos topamos con Southport Gates, una de las puertas o, mejor dicho, tres de las puertas de la ciudad.

Están ubicadas en la Muralla de Carlos V, una de las fortificaciones del siglo XVI de Gibraltar. La primera y la segunda Southport Gates se construyeron en la actual Trafalgar Road en 1552 y 1883, respectivamente. La tercera puerta, Puerta del Referéndum, es la más ancha de las tres y se construyó en 1967 en Main Street, inmediatamente al oeste de las dos primeras puertas.

Southport Gate en sus orígenes era conocida como la Puerta de África. Fue construida por el ingeniero italiano Giovanni Battista Calvi en 1552, bajo el reinado de Carlos V, emperador del Sacro Imperio Romano Germánico.

Southport Gates
Southport Gates.

Cruzando Southport Gates se encuentra Trafalgar Cemetery (Cementerio Trafalgar) que se utilizó para enterramientos entre 1798 y 1814, y posteriormente cayó en desuso. Su nombre anterior era Southport Ditch Cemetery y aunque su nombre conmemora la batalla de Trafalgar, solo dos de los enterrados allí murieron de heridas sufridas durante la batalla. El resto de cadáveres fueron arrojados al mar.

Trafalgar Cemetery (Cementerio Trafalgar)
Trafalgar Cemetery.

Desde aquí empezamos a subir… a subir mucho por Europa Road pasando por algunos puntos con unas bonitas vistas de la ciudad y de la Bahía de Algeciras.

Después de mucho subir, llegamos por fin a la entrada de la Reserva Natural del Peñón. Junto a ella podemos visitar el Jew’s Gate Cemetery (Cementerio Puerta de los Judíos), el cementerio judío más antiguo de Gibraltar, que estuvo en uso entre 1746 y 1848.

Jew's Gate Cemetery (Cementerio Puerta de los Judíos)
Jew’s Gate Cemetery.

Al otro lado encontramos un mirador cun unas magníficas vistas de Punta Europa, el extremo sur de Gibraltar. Y también encontramos el monumento (de plastiquillo barato) Pillars of Hercules (las Columnas de Hércules).

Pillars of Hercules (las Columnas de Hércules)

Según la leyenda de origen mitológico, las Columnas de Hércules se referian en la antiguedad a los promontorios que flanquean el estrecho de Gibraltar, siendo límite del mundo conocido por los griegos hasta que, según el historiador griego Heródoto, Coleo de Samos lo atravesó​ en torno al siglo VII antes de Cristo.

Las Columnas de Hércules sí que fueron un límite entre el exterior y el interior de la cuenca del Mediterráneo y, hasta 1492, se desconocía la existencia de un continente más al oeste de este mar, por lo que las Columnas se han relacionado con la frase latina Non terrae plus ultra («No hay tierra más allá») y con el Plus ultra («Más allá») en el siglo XVI, en referencia a los dominios hispánicos más allá de este punto.

Su nombre más antiguo que con seguridad alude a las mismas procede de los griegos, quienes las denominaron Στῆλαι Ἡρακλήϊαι o Ἡρακλέων στηλέων «Estelas de Heracles» y que los romanos después llamaron Columnas Herculis (Columnas de Hércules).

Se dice que el Peñón de Gibraltar era la columna norte y la sur está en disputa entre el monte Hacho en Ceuta (España) y el monte Musa en Marruecos, ambos en el África continental.

Aquí descansamos un rato admirando las vistas antes de emprender la bajada. Lástima el mal tiempo que hacía.

Como somos bien masoquistas, emprendimos la marcha andando. Ya abajo en la ciudad, hicimos una breve parada en Irish Town llamado The Clipper a tomarnos una cervezota inglesa y nos fuimos al hotel directos a descansar.

Esa noche, para cenar, decidimos buscar algún sitio cercano en La Línea de la Concepción. Lo hicimos en un sitio muy hipster llamado El Barbas que la verdad es que estaba muy bueno. Tan bueno que repetimos la noche siguiente.

Al día siguiente por la previsión de mal tiempo, decidimos darnos un salto a visitar la ciudad de Cádiz, pero eso lo dejaremos para otra entrada.

28 de Febrero

Último día de viaje y nos levantamos con buen tiempo así que decidimos subir a lo alto del Peñón. Para ello nos fuimos dando un paseo hasta el Cablecar para subir hasta arriba. Nos costó £28 (33.80€) e incluía el viaje de ida y la entrada a la Reserva Natural.

Como apunte he de decir, que en el Peñón habitan una especie de macaco endémica sólo de aquí, de la que no se tiene muy claro como llegaron.

Pues, nada más salir de la cabina del Cablecar, uno de ellos saltó sobre un tipo para robarle. Como no sacó nada, decidió saltar sobre mi para tomar impulso y abalanzarse sobre mi pareja intentando abrir las cremalleras de la mochila buscando comida… macaco ladrón.

Siguió intentándolo hasta que un empleado salió corriendo con un palo asustándolo.

Macaco ladrón
Gibraltar
Macaco ladrón.

Desde la estación las vistas ya empiezan a ser espectaculares. Se contempla toda la Bahía de Algeciras, La Línea, Gibraltar… todo rodeado de macacos ladrones.

Gibraltar
Macaco ladrón
Gibraltar
De lejos que tenía cara de enfadao.

Dimos un paseillo por la zona de los alrededores de la estación del Cablecar y emprendimos la marcha hacia Gibraltar Skywalk.

Pero justo antes se encuentra Barbary macaque feeding station, en lugar donde alimentan a los macacos ladrones, en el que podemos observar bonitas vistas.

Barbary macaque feeding statio

Un poco más adelante se encuentra el Skywalk, un mirador con suelo de cristal inaugurado en 2018 por el mismísimo Luke Skywalker de Starwars. Lo malo es que ese día estaba cerrado por mantenimiento y no pudimos acceder.

Gibraltar Skywalk

Desde aquí continuamos hacia el extremo sur del Peñón en busca de la O’Hara’s Battery. Para llegar hay que subir un pedazo de cuestón que te deja sin aliento…

Pero merece la pena. En días claros se ve perfectamente las montañas de Marruecos. Se encuentra en el pico más alto de la roca, a 421 metros y lleva el nombre del Gobernador de Gibraltar entre 1795 y 1802, el General Charles O’Hara .

O'Hara's Battery
O'Hara's Battery

Después de disfrutar de las maravillosas vistas, empezamos a bajar hacia Saint Michael’s Cave (Cueva de San Miguel), una red de cuevas de piedra caliza. La cueva ha funcionado a modo de teatro desde los años 60 gracias a su espectacular acústica.

Durante la visita van variando las luces, cosa que no te deja disfrutar en condiciones de las formas de la gruta y, en el teatro hacen un espectaculo de luces llamado “The Awakening” que, como dicen en Granada, es una “chuminada” que no vale la pena detenerse a ver. Eso si, se está muy cómodo descansando en las sillas.

Saint Michael's Cave (Cueva de San Miguel)

Tras las cuevas, seguimos bajando, dejando a un lado Windsor Suspension Bridge, un puente suspendido por el que no se me ocurrió pasar (ni ver de cerca) debido al vértigo que sufro. Y un poco más abajo, Apes Den (Guarida de los monos), donde habitan un montón más de macacos ladrones.

Windsor Suspension Bridge

Seguimos bajando (mucho) hasta llegar a la Princess Caroline’s Battery, en el extremo norte del Peñón, donde se encuentra el Military Heritage Centre (Centro del Patrimonio Militar). Es una batería de artillería construida en 1732 y lleva el nombre de la tercera hija del rey Jorge II. Desde aquí podemos observar unas bonitas vistas orientadas al norte de Gibraltar.

Gibraltar desde Princess Caroline's Battery

Un poco más arriba, subiendo un cuestolo, se encuentra el The Great Siege Tunnels, los Túneles del Gran Asedio. Se trata de una serie de túneles dentro del extremo norte del Peñón de Gibraltar. Fueron excavados en la piedra caliza sólida por los británicos durante el Gran Asedio de Gibraltar a finales del siglo XVIII.

The Great Siege Tunnels
The Great Siege Tunnels

Volvemos sobre nuestros pasos y seguimos bajando, pasando por delante del Lime Kiln, uno de los dos hornos de cal que quedan en el Peñón, de principios del siglo XX y restaurado recientemente.

A su lado encontramos City Under Siege, una exibichión de la vida durante los años alrededor del Gran Asedio.

City Under Siege

Un poco más abajo encontramos los Túneles de las 2ª Guerra Mundial, construidos en caso de que España, aunque oficialmente neutral, simpatizaba con el régimen nacionalsocialista alemán y fascista italiano, se decidiera a dar paso a las tropas alemanas hacia Gibraltar para el control total del mar Mediterráneo (y poder reclamar el territorio para España).

Es una inmensa red de túneles que albergaban lo que equivalía a una ciudad subterránea en los que se podía ser autosuficientes durante 16 meses dando cobijo a una guarnición de 16.000 soldados.

Túneles de las 2ª Guerra Mundial
Túneles de las 2ª Guerra Mundial

Casi a la salida se encuentra el Moorish Castle (Castillo de los Moros). Fue cosntruido a principios del siglo XII tras la invasión de los musulmanes a la Península Ibérica. Tras la conquista del territorio por los españoles entre 1309 y 1333. Trás la recuperación de Gibraltar por los árabes en 1333, Abu’l Hassan mandó a reconstruir la torre del homenaje.

Aquí, un gobernador español resistió durante cinco meses al duque de Medina Sidonia, que arrebató Gibraltar a su propia soberana, la reina Isabel de España. El castillo inferior se extendía originalmente hasta la plaza Casemates Square, el área de Grand Battery y Old Mole. El patio del Castillo de los Moros sirvió como prisión hasta 2010.

Moorish Castle Gibraltar

Aquí damos por finalizada la visita turística. Bajamos a la ciudad y, como era muy tarde, decidimos comer en el pub en el que nos habíamos tomado la cerveza el día anterior, The Clipper, que no cerraba la cocina. Comimos realmente bien y relativamente barato: £2‎4.70 (29.56€).

Ahora si. Pasamos por el hotel a recoger las cosas y a casita a descansar.

Aquí dejamos un mapa con los sitios visitados en el viaje:

Encuentra las mejores actividades y tours en Gibraltar con Civitatis.

SIGUIENTE ENTRADA